When you don't have the time or money for a freshly brewed Starbucks vanilla latte, this instant mix is a convenient, affordable option. All you do is add water, stir, and enjoy! This dry mix is convenient for home, work, travel, dorm rooms, and camping. It also makes a great gift along with my pumpkin spice and cafe mocha latte mixes.
Starbucks sells instant vanilla latte packets, but they are pricey. So, I set out to create a homemade version. Mine tastes darn close to theirs. I'll explain how easy it is to adapt my recipe to make it non-dairy and vegan.
view on Amazon: Starbucks Instant Vanilla Latte Packets
Goodbye mystery ingredients! The other dry latte mix recipes I've found often contain artificial coffee creamer (like Coffeemate) with unhealthy, mystery ingredients. I prefer to leave out artificial ingredients and eliminate that hint of a chemical taste. I use simple, whole ingredients. My mix doesn't have any of these ingredients found in Coffeemate and similar coffee creamers:
VANILLA LATTE MIX INGREDIENTS
- Dry powdered milk. One of the main ingredients in my latte mix is powdered dry milk. There are options here. Nonfat dried milk is most widely available in grocery stores. I found good quality whole milk powders (my preference) on Amazon that lend a creamier flavor. For a vegan version, you can use dried coconut or soy milk.
view on Amazon: dry nonfat milk, dry whole milk, dry coconut milk, dry soy milk
- Instant espresso powder. I've found these brands at my local grocery store and on Amazon. They add that dark, rich coffee flavor that is essential for a good latte.
view on Amazon: instant espresso powder
- Vanilla Sugar Powder. Vanilla flavor is essential to this vanilla latte recipe. Vanilla powder (also called vanilla sugar) is used in order to incorporate that vanilla flavor into a dry mix. It's easy to make and much cheaper than buying it.
view recipe for homemade vanilla sugar powder
Amazon sells vanilla powder, if you prefer to buy it.
view on Amazon: vanilla sugar powder
- Additional Sweetener. The vanilla powder contributes some sweetness to the latte mix. My recipe also has additional granulated sugar in order to approximate the sweetness of the Starbucks version. (Feel free to reduce the sugar if you prefer a less sweet latte.) You can use alternative sweeteners in place of the granulated sugar. As long as the sweetener is dry and dissolves in water, it should work fine.
Step-by-step photos for making
Vanilla Latte Dry Mix
Step 1. Assemble the ingredients.
Step 2. Add ingredients to a food processor or blender and pulse until uniformly mixed. (Alternatively, you can whisk ingredients together in a large bowl.)
view on Amazon: Food Processor (rated #1 by Cooks Illustrated)
Step 3. Transfer dry mixture to a jar or other airtight container. Pint mason jars are the perfect size to hold one batch.
To make one latte with this mix:
- HOT LATTE-- Add 1/4 cup of mixture to mug and add 8 oz. (1 cup) boiling water. Stir and enjoy!
- COLD LATTE-- Add 1/4 cup mixture to mug and add 1 tablespoon hot tap water; stir until smooth. Gradually stir in 8 oz (1 cup) cold water; add ice cubes, if desired.
Make a gift for coffee lovers! Fill a mason jar with dry latte mix, label it, and you've got a homemade gift to give. Give the jar of mix alone or nest it inside a latte mug. These make ideal gifts for hosts/hostesses, teachers, co-workers, neighbors, college students, and friends.
Download printable jar labels/tags.
- Print these on card stock, cut them out, punch a hole in the top, and hang them from the jar neck with a ribbon, string, or rubber band. OR
- Print them on sticker paper and stick them to the jar or lid. Or, print them on regular paper and stick them on with tape. If you don't have a printer or specialty papers, you can have a store with printing services download and print them for you (Kinkos, Office Depot, Staples, etc.)
Click on the image below to download & print a full sheet of labels/tags.
Cut with scissors or a circle punch. You can cut the round tags out carefully with scissors, or use a circle punch to make the task easier and more precise. The circle punches come in several sizes to accommodate different jar and bottle lids.
Use this instant mix anywhere, anytime! This vanilla latte mix is so convenient to have on hand for a creamy, delicious latte in the time it takes to heat a mug of water.
- at home
- at work
- in hotel rooms
- while camping or backpacking
- in dorm rooms
You have my permission to top off your vanilla latte with a dollop of whipped cream. Yum!
You might also enjoy these instant dry drink mixes:
Make it a Yummy day!
Latte Instant Dry Mix | Vanilla
Servings: 8 servings
- 1/2 cup instant espresso powder
- 1 3/4 cups instant dry whole or nonfat milk*
- 1/4 cup powdered (confectioner's) sugar
- 1/3 cup vanilla powder*
- 1 teaspoon corn starch
- 1/8 teaspoon salt
*For a non-dairy, vegan version, substitute dry coconut or soy milk powder.
**To make your own vanilla powder, recipe at: https://www.theyummylife.com/Vanilla_Powder
Add all ingredients to food processor or blender; pulse until well combined into uniform mixture. (Alternatively, you can whisk ingredients together in a large bowl.)
Makes 2 cups of dry mix. Transfer to jar or other air tight container.
TO MAKE 1 SERVING:
--HOT LATTE-- Add 1/4 cup of mixture to mug and add 8 oz. (1 cup) boiling water. Stir and enjoy!
--COLD LATTE-- Add 1/4 cup mixture to mug and add 1 tablespoon hot tap water; stir until smooth. Gradually stir in 8 oz (1 cup) cold water; add ice cubes, if desired.
OPTIONAL: top with whipped cream and a sprinkle of cinnamon or nutmeg
Just add water to this instant mix for a delicious Starbucks copycat hot or cold vanilla latte. Both dairy and vegan options. Convenient for home, work, travel, dorm rooms and camping. Great for gifts; labels provided. From TheYummyLife.com #instant #latte #drymix #Starbuckscopycat #vanilla # vegan #gifts #mason jars #printable labels