This is my sister Nelda's recipe. She's been making it for her family for years. When she gathers with her adult children these days, this chicken salad is always requested. One taste, and you'll understand why. The combination of flavors in this recipe is distinctive. It's not your typical mayo-based chicken salad. The marinated artichoke hearts and tarragon add yummy flavor, and pine nuts add nutty crunch. Nelda always serves this on buttery, flakey croissants and it's a perfect pairing.
Nelda and her daughter Phoebe's family recently visited us in St. Louis. Nelda made her requested artichoke chicken salad croissant sandwiches for lunch in my son and daughter-in-law's backyard. Pictured below, front left and clockwise: Linden, Nelda, Ryan, Tyler, Phoebe holding Baby Frankie, Shelly
Nelda didn't have this recipe written down--she always made it by memory and taste. So when she made it for us that day, I watched and took notes on ingredients and amounts. Here's how to make this easy, tasty recipe.
Step-by-step photos for making
Artichoke Chicken Salad
Step 1. Assemble the ingredients
- cooked, shredded chicken - Use the convenience of a rotisserie chicken or cook your own chicken breasts
- jarred marinated artichoke hearts
- toasted pine nuts
- white pepper
- dried tarragon
- croissants (or other roll/bread)
- lettuce leaves
CHICKEN TIPS. For convenience, you can buy rotisserie chicken that's already cooked--it works great. Nelda and I prefer chicken breasts for this recipe, so we cook our own. Here are three methods I've used:
- Poached on the stovetop: Add chicken breasts to a saucepan and cover with water. Bring to a boil then reduce to a simmer for approx. 8 minutes until internal temperature of chicken is 165° F. Don't overcook it, or it will get tough.
- With Sous-Vide Precision Cooker. (My preferred method for the most moist and tender chicken.) Preheat water in a sous-vide cooker to 150° F. Add chicken (vacuum-sealed in a plastic bag) and cook for at least 1 hour and up to 4 hours. Transfer to ice bath and let chill for 15 minutes.
- Roasted in the oven. This works best with bone-in, skin-on chicken breasts. Here's how.
Step 2. Drain and chop the artichokes. Place a fine mesh strainer over a bowl and drain the marinated artichoke hearts. Reserve the marinade liquid--some of it will be added back in later in the recipe. Roughly chop the artichoke hearts.
- TIP: Return any remaining marinade to the jar and keep it in the fridge until the chicken salad has chilled and is ready to serve. More marinade may be added later if additional moisture is needed as the chicken absorbs the dressing.
Step 3. Combine the dressing ingredients. First, stir together the mayo and seasonings and then stir in some of the artichoke marinade.
Step 4. Mix everything together. To a large bowl, add chicken, artichoke hearts, pine nuts, and dressing. Stir to combine. Add more salt to taste, if needed.
Step 5. Cover and chill at least 4 hours to allow the flavors to develop and the liquid to absorb into the chicken. After chilling, if it needs more moisture, stir in more of the artichoke marinade liquid until desired consistency.
- MAKE-AHEAD TIP: This chicken salad is even better the next day, so it's a great recipe to make a day ahead if you like.
Step 6. Assemble sandwiches. To each split croissant (or other bun/bread) add lettuce and spoon on chicken salad.
- For a low-carb option, use it as a filling in lettuce wraps or serve it over a tomato flower or bed of salad greens.
Thanks for this amazing recipe, Sis. A favorite in your family has become a favorite in ours.
Make it a Yummy day!
Artichoke Chicken Salad Sandwich
Servings: 8-10 servings
- 4-5 cups (20 oz) cooked, shredded chicken (from 1 rotisserie chicken or 3-4 boneless chicken breasts)
- 2 (6 oz) jars marinated artichoke hearts, drained (reserving liquid) and coarsely chopped
- 1/4 cup toasted pine nuts
- FOR DRESSING:
- 1/4 cup reserved liquid from marinated artichokes (+more, if needed)
- 3/4 cups mayonnaise
- 3 garlic cloves, minced (1 tablespoon)
- 1 or more teaspoons salt (less if chicken is already salted), to taste
- 1/2 teaspoon white pepper
- 2 teaspoons dried tarragon
- TO MAKE SANDWICHES:
- 8 croissants, halved horizontally (may also use other bun or bread)
- 8 large lettuce leaves
Add chicken, artichokes, and pine nuts to medium size bowl; set aside.
In small bowl, combine dressing ingredients: liquid from artichoke jar, mayonnaise, garlic, 1 teaspoon salt, white pepper, and tarragon.
Pour dressing over chicken artichoke mixture; stir to evenly combine. Taste and add more salt, if needed.
Cover and chill at least 4 hours (overnight is better) to allow flavors to develop and liquid to absorb into chicken. After chilling, if it needs more moisture, stir in more of artichoke jar liquid until desired consistency.
To each split croissant (or other bun/bread) add lettuce and spoon on chicken salad.
Makes approx. 5 cups. For large croissant sandwiches, use 1/2 cup per sandwich.
*METHODS FOR COOKING CHICKEN BREASTS:
1. Poached on stove top: Add chicken to saucepan and cover with water. Bring to boil then reduce to simmer for approx. 8 minutes until internal temperature is 165° F.
2. With Sous-Vide Precision Cooker. Preheat water in sous-vide cooker to 150° F. Add chicken (in vacuum-sealed plastic bag) and cook for at least 1 hour and up to 4. Transfer to ice bath and let chill for 15 minutes.
Thanks to my sister Nelda Matheny for this recipe.
A delicious chicken salad with a distinctive flavor from marinated artichoke hearts. It makes an amazing sandwich. For a lower carb option, serve it in a lettuce wrap or over a bed of greens. #chickensalad #sandwich #lettucewrap #artichokehearts #croissant