Coconut milk has a rich, creamy flavor with a hint of sweetness, making it a great base for salad dressing. I've added some tang with Greek yogurt (you can sub a non-dairy yogurt, if you like) and white balsamic vinegar. This sweet, tangy combo with a sprinkle of chives makes for a complex flavor that is great for dressing your favorite salad greens.
I just love it when a food I love that was previously on the no-no list health-wise suddenly gets a thumbs up from nutritionists. Coconut milk has joined that group in recent years. Long considered to be bad for us, it is now touted for it's numerous health benefits.
Nutritional information (for 1 tablespoon of salad dressing using regular canned coconut milk and low-fat Greek yogurt): 28.8 calories, 2.9g fat, .3g carbs, 0g fiber, .2g protein; Weight Watchers PointsPlus = 1 point
This dressing is a snap to make. Just throw the ingredients into a jar or bottle, shake it well, and your done! I make this in a salad dressing bottle that has measurements on the side so I can easily mix, store, and pour from the same container.
(view salad dressing shaker on Amazon)
- Canned coconut milk -- Found in the Asian aisle of most grocery stores. Use the lite version for reduced calories and fat, if desired. Coconut milk beverage sold in tall cartons is diluted and not recommended for this recipe. (view on Amazon)
- Greek yogurt -- Substitute a non-diary yogurt, if desired.
- White balsamic vinegar (view on Amazon)
- Garlic powder
- Ground black pepper
- Kosher salt
- Fresh chives, minced
- Extra-virgin olive oil (view on Amazon)
Let the dressing chill in the fridge for at least a couple of hours before tossing it with salad greens, drizzling it over sliced tomatoes, or mixing it with cold pasta and veggies.
Make it Yummy day!
view more salad dressing recipes
Creamy Coconut Milk Salad Dressing
Servings: makes 1-1/4 cups
- 3/4 cups canned coconut milk*
- 3 tablespoons Greek yogurt
- 3 tablespoons white balsamic vinegar
- 1/8 teaspoon garlic powder
- 1/8 teaspoon ground black pepper
- 1/4 teaspoon kosher salt
- 1 tablespoon minced fresh chives
- 3 tablespoons extra-virgin olive oil
Add all ingredients to bottle or jar; put on lid and shake well. Or, whisk together in a bowl. Refrigerate for at least 2 hours before serving; best the next day. Will keep in fridge for up to 5 days.
Use to dress salad greens, drizzle over sliced tomatoes, or toss with cold pasta and veggies. Garnish with additional chopped chives, if desired.
NUTRITIONAL INFO (for 1 tablespoon of salad dressing using regular canned coconut milk and low-fat Greek yogurt): 28.8 calories, 2.9g fat, .3g carbs, 0g fiber, .2g protein; Weight Watchers PointsPlus = 1 point
*Canned coconut milk is found in the Asian aisle of most grocery stores. You may use the lite version for reduced calories and fat, if desired. Coconut milk beverage sold in tall cartons is diluted and not recommended for this recipe.